Sunday, July 18, 2004

A nostalgic weekend...



It was turning out to be another dreary weekend this saturday afternoon. In the last two years that I was out of chennai, all my friends have either moved out of the city or have been married. Either way, I lost out of the buddies who made up my social life. The ISB alumni junta in chennai is what makes up to some extent. So, here I was on my bike at a traffic signal near my place, on my way to meet a few friends when a guy in front of me on a kinetic honda turned around by chance. He was a class mate of mine from school days. We had last met in 95, my last year at school before engineering. An absolute chance meeting with someone who had been a bum chum pal 9 year back, who I had lost touch with since. While I went on with my career, he had compelted his stints at IIT and IIM and was in chennai after a long time. both of us cancelled whatever we had planned and went to the beach. It was wonderful recollecting those days and looking back at all the fun that school was. Sometimes, you dont realize how much life has changed and how much you have changed unless you sit down and consciously recollect those days. You do seem to know you have changed, but the magnitude hits you only when you have a friend like that with whom you can recollect little incidents still fresh, but somewhere back in your memory. By the time we were tired of talking, it was 10 in the night. We planned some sort of a get together with junta left in chennai on sunday. Though only two more turned up (the rest are still untreaceable or busy), it was the best sunday afternoon I had had in a long long time. Sipping my favorite frappe at coffee day, we went back in the years, recollected such precious memories and laughed like school children again. The feeling of innocence and childlike immaturity was heavenly. We took a walk down the road and decided to see if our school was open. It was. A little chat with the watchman and we were in. The feeling that hit me when I entered the place, afte nearly 9 years is indescribeable. Everything was just the way it was. From the volleyball courts that I spent my mornings playing, to the lounge with the names of all the toppers to the huge tree under which we had spent many a day having lunch together it was simply amazing. If I were a filmaker, I would have blended this scene with a early morning 8 o clock shot, which I can remember so clearly, with me and my friends in those school uniforms, arriving in bicycles. The prayer hall, the classrooms, the lounge, even the washrooms (!!!) were just the same. It was the closest I have gotten to a teleport in time. For the half an hour we spent there, time stopped still, went back into the best memories of my life and somehow, I was floating just like I used to in those carefree days. We have planned a get together the next weekend as well, with more people joining in. I plan to take my digicam. I cant wait.