Saturday, October 02, 2004

RSS

I started using an RSS reader a week back. Its been something I have been wanting to do for a long time but never got the chance. The lack of internet access had been a deterrant. So when I finally got around to it, checked out a few readers and settled with RSS bandit for now. My first step was to try and find feeds of all the blogs and web content I browse nowadays. The blogs were pretty easy. Almost all of them had an atom or RSS feed. But the websites were the real surprise. Almost all of websites had an RSS feed buried somewhere. Rediff displayes them prominently while it took some searching to find RSS feeds for economic times. I still havent found ones for Business week and some other websites but I already have a clutch of them to start with.
The concept is pretty neat. The first thing I do now is start my feed reader and ask it to update all feeds. This ones saves a lot of time I must say. More than saving time, I now am back to following news the way I used to when I had time to spare. Besides, there is a neat feature in RSS bandit that finds new feeds in browsed pages. I already have some 35 feeds in my reader and managing them is becoming quite a task. Going forward, I guess I would really have to be judicious in adding feeds. This one is going to hog some bandwidth otherwise when updating feeds. I also wish I could get my google news alerts through my feedreader. Does google news have a search based feed? They clutter my inbox today and how I wish my RSS reader could only serve the search results. Sounds like a neat idea. Overall, I am becoming addicted.