Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Another hectic week

This term is becoming more hectic than expected... The courses have that seemed easy in the beginning, just faff (non quantitative) are looming large... While both huggy and Rajiv Banker (IT) have been excellent in the classes, there is so much tacit knowledge passed on in class... Investment Analysis and its complexities is beginning to give all those considered Finance in the past a serious scare... Many are reconsidering their elective choices... The registration for term 5's electives is also out and its a very crucial decision... Many basic fundamental electives like market research and futures and options are in term 5... And on top of all this is ELP, which for me atleast is getting more and more interesting but time consuming at the same time...

Today, my ELP team spent time with Ajit for an hour and that changed a lot of what we were planning to do as part of the ELP... He provided us with some much needed focus... I had the feeling that something was amiss, ever since the first day and it turned out to be a pull approach to the project from the perspective of what the client wanted at the end of the project... Talking with Ajit cleared a lot of uncertainity in the planning...

I also have taken it up on myself to write an essay for the IIMB manifestations event... I worked on the table of contents today and did a brain storming session with Mehul, who is also authoring the essay with me... We started pretty late but hope to cover good ground as I have been reading about the topic and observing the IT industry for quite some time to come...

Also, we had a new finance elective, "indian financial systems" added to term 5 today... It is being offered by Gangadhar, who is a post doctoral research fellow here... The post doctoral fellows (we call them PDFs) are part of a research faculty development program... and it was heartening to see a course from one of the PDFs... Gangadhar is a mine of knowledge when it comes to the Indian economy and its financial systems... The number of papers he has written and the books he has edited are his testimony... I sincerely wish he joins ISB as faculty after completing his research...

We have Sanjiv Mathur from Microsoft visiting us tomorrow, courtesy Huggy... I am among the few selected for a dinner session with him... Have to do my homework before I get to talk to him... Just a few minutes ago I read in the ET about the Indian government releasing GNU linux in regional languages... Enough cud to chew on for tomorrow I guess ;)