Saturday, September 13, 2003

a new season for applications and placements

Somehow, I wasn't able to access blogger.com for the past two days and hence the 2 day blackout... So here I am with a bigger write up...

Friday had Alex kuruvilla from MTV talking to us about how they initially positioned the brand in the wrong segment and how they have now changed the positioning to a desi youthish brand and even drawing benefits with fringe products like clothing... a talk that I truly enjoyed! We also had Prof. Taneja from the new Shinawatra University in Thailand talking to us about China... The whole evening went in talks and a placom meeting where we were deciding about the student policy issues... CAS is debating the number of max offers we can hold and wants to peg it at 2. Many students want 3. Given that the companies will land up in the order of preference and the one week cap on deciding on a offer, I dont see this being a big issue, but still I preferred 2 to give everyone a fair chance at a decent job... lets see how this turns out...

Gurcharan Das's friday class was a gem... Bhagvad Gita was the point of discussion and I never thought so much deep about Arjuna and Krishna... I tested my beliefs about them and it was indeed pretty insightful... Nishkama Karma and Nishphala Karma were debated at length as this is one story everyone knows! While I enjoyed his "india unbound", I am not a particular fan of philosophy... Rawls, Nozic and Marx arent my cup of tea but this one class was thoroughly enjoyable... it made me think that much more...

the class afterwards was the most interesting of the term... Huggy Rao is on a roll... From being sceptical, he is one prof that has made Management of Organizations a very popular subject among people here... What a prof! his energy and enthusiasm are infective... I would travel miles to listen to him... He played out a small game in class to demonstrate how a small group can develop strong boundaries when given numbers and competition to deal with... we all fell for it when the game was played out and when he actually let the idea out, we all felt the group dynamics... this was any day better than a monologue lecture... Kellogg and ISB are very fortunate to have him...

Today has been the laziest day of the term... I simply could not put mind to studies... did data collection and some surfing for the ELP and my paper for the mercer competition... went to the city in the evening to the Raymonds showroom... have been thinking about a new set of business formals for the placement season... but raymonds turned out to be very disappointing... Atul suggested readymades... He is the textile guy from Bangkok and so postponed this to another day... So, having to turn the outing to be a meaningful one, we landed at Fusion 9... I liked the food and had my favourite vanilla desert to top the night... watched Hulk on my laptop and now, my brain is fresh for sunday... I have a spanish class, a meeting for the leadership summit, a meeting for ELP, a meeting for the research paper, a one page memo assignment about moral dilemma of Arjuna due on monday and quite a few calls to make... all this besides studies and readings for monday's classes!

Its time to give myself rest for a busy tomorrow! :)