Monday, February 02, 2004

I went out of the placement process today, with my third offer arriving by e-mail... this whole placement process started on the 6th of Jan... since then there have been action packed weekends, hours and hours of interviews, offers, rejections, salary negotiations spanning days and days, role negotiations that broke deals, multiple offers, elated and dejected souls and what not... its been a myriad of emotions for us all to go through this... there are only 40 odd of us left without an offer... but getting an offer should never be a problem...

I have offers from HCL, Sapient and Verizon... All three are very good in terms of the role I have been offered... All of them are considering my work experience and giving me something relevant to do but at the same time, the scope to use my MBA gyaan is also high... Guess the only way I can decide will be based on location, compensation and the vibes I will get when I talk to employees in these companies... I am planning to visit Verizon sometime just to get to know the place, people and work culture before deciding... As of now, I am inclined towards Verizon, for besides everything else, their compensation crosses the 7 figure mark... (if u want to know how big the offer is, thats a big enuf hint)... Sapient is in Gurgaon, a place I always wanted to visit... I have been considering moving to the north to live there for sometime and this sounds like a very good option, besides the role being offered... The telecom vertical is growing very fast in Sapient... HCL has given me a mind blowing role in Chennai and just the promise of doing the work they have given me is making this choice difficult... All the companies have been generous enough to give me a two week time frame plus contacts into the company to talk to, to help me make an informed choice.... I have never had such liberty, time and resources at my disposal to choose between job offers... besides the booming economy, I guess I have thank my stars... touchwood...

I am in the middle of the most interesting course I have taken here in ISB... Negotiation Analysis... by Prof. Madan Pilutla from London Business School... By the way, this has been the most popular course in ISB for all the past three years... in fact, this is the only elective for which we had to have competitive bidding and some students were not allowed to take this elective as they did not get selected!!! More about the course later as I have to go to a meeting with a video tape of a negotiation we did with another team... we have to watch the video together and then write a group report about how the negotiations went...