Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Term 3 chugs along...

2 days into the term and I am already out of the relaxed mood and onto studies. Yesterday was my roomie, Vikas's bday. He had been asking me for a long time for some good restaurant to eat authentic andhra cuisine. I have been dodging him for a long time... So when it came finally he to taking us out for a dinner bday treat, we decided to go to "Southern Spice" a restaurant in Banjara Hills... So we caught an auto, and it was one of the most amazing auto rides of my life. First it was the four of us apartment mates, me, Atul, Saurabh and so we thought we would manage one auto somehow. Then Vikas invited our good friend Shipli to add some balance ;) to the group. There was vikas in the front seat with the driver, and the four of us in the back, squeezed in. As we drove out of the campus, the auto wala added another one of his "assistants" who wanted to tag along to cling on... For those who know what an auto rickshaw means in India, yes, I am talking about the same... This was turning out to me more like the fevicol ad... :) Add to that, there was this amazing music system in the auto that our dear auto driver decided to switch on... and the song turned out to be Vikas' favourite! made his bday even more! 7 bodies squeezed in with music blaring...

We hogged like we had never seen food before. It was partly to do with the good food as well as the fact that we had become seriously bored by the routine (but decent) food that Sarovar had been belting out with amazing consistency in our cafetria... I was the glutton of the day... Somewhere along the line, my conscience popped its head and screamed about my weight loss intentions... It was shut up with ruthless force as another round of rice and "gunpowder" made me feel like heaven was on earth... For those who do not know what "gunpowder" is, visit hydrabad and eat "andhra khana"... You will not forget it ever again...

After a repeat of the fevicol act, we were back in the apartment and it was cake cutting time... Vikas had been smeared with cake by me during the dunking the previous night and so this time, we decided to let him eat his pastry... Though Shipli's penchant for pastry meant we did not get more than a small cut of the cake, it was an evening that we and more so, Vikas will remember for some time to come :)