Thursday, August 14, 2003

Grades...

Today another set of grades, term 2 and term 3 mid term came out... While the campus was buzzing with the news of the grades coming out, it wasnt as much as it was in the first term... but still, I was thinking that the buzz wud have died down by now...

I am one who believes that exam grades are less important than what you actually learn in the exam itself... if you get good grades, good! but bad grades means you have learnt so much more... this may seem contrary to what I have been saying about grades, but I concentrate on my cgpa to ensure that it is within decent limits, in case I apply for a PhD sometime later in life... otherwise, grade hunting is something I dont think shud happen... especially in a b-school...

but the indian education system is so hung up on grades that we are all brought up to compare ourselves using grades than more subtle things in life... no wonder there was no correlation between the grades and placements last year... at the end of the day, what mattered was how well people performed in the interview... except for consulting jobs, no company cared about grades when they picked someone!

The community here is indeed to some extent hung up on grades... i dont blame them... you are the way you have been brought up... while learning is "the" major focus among the student community, the hurrahs and disappointments of grades defies me... today, i saw many in my section elated and dejected seeing a simple mid term paper... some even asked questions about the way points were awarded than being interested in the actual solution... while such crowd is indeed a minority, the general level of importance given to grades was too much in my opinion...

well then, its just me at 3:30 in the morning maybe! or maybe i am looking at it that way and its actually not the case... ??!!??